Qt WebEngine integrates Chromium's fast moving web capabilities into Qt.
Our goal is to bring the latest and best implementation of the web platform into the universe of Qt. The integration with Qt focuses on an API that is easy to use, yet extensible. We also make no compromise on the graphics integration, integrating the layer rendering of Chromium directly into the OpenGL scene graph of Qt Quick.
Relationship to Chromium
Qt WebEngine uses code from the Chromium project. However, it is not containing all of Chrome/Chromium:
- Binary files are stripped out
- Auxiliary services that talk to Google platforms are stripped out, therefore there is no access to Google APIs like:
- Cloud Search API
- Geolocation API
- Google Drive API / SyncFileSystem API (no Chrome sync)
- Safe Browsing API
- Time Zone API
- Cloud Translation API
- Geocoding API
- Google Assistant API
- Google Calendar API
- Nearby Messages API
- The code is fixed to build on other compilers than Google's special modified version of clang.
- The codebase is modularized to allow use of system libraries like libpng, libjpeg, and many others.
We do update to the latest Chromium version in use before a Qt release. After a release some bug fixes and security patches are backported. For LTS releases of Qt we might also update Chromium in a patch level release.
- QtWebEngine/How to Try
- QtWebEngine/Porting from QtWebKit
- QtWebEngine/Rebase on New Chromium
- QtWebEngine/WorkShop 2016 January
- QtWebEngine/WorkShop 2019 March
Blog posts and Videos
Experimenting with Chromium and Qt (blog post) (2013-06-25)
QtDD13 - Pierre Rossi - Introducing QtWebEngine (video) (2013-10-07)
Qt WebEngine Technology Preview available (blog post) (2014-01-23)
Building QtWebEngine (ICS blog post) (2014-04-23)
QTDD14 - QtWebEngine: learning to walk - Pierre Rossi (video) (2014-10-07)
News from the Qt WebEngine Team (blog post) (2014-05-13)
QtWS15 - Qt's Web Offering- An Overview, Allan Jensen (video) (2015-10-06)
QtWS15 - QtWebEngine – Taming the beast, Kai Köhne (video) (2015-10-07)