Qt Marketplace Publisher Guidelines
This page provides guidelines, how to publish products or Qt extensions in Qt Marketplace. Publishers, already familiar with the guidelines, may proceed directly to the Publisher page.
Qt Marketplace is a comprehensive collection of useful extensions for Qt to enhance functionality, development experience and development workflow. Marketplace provides developers with libraries for Qt framework, plug-ins for Qt Creator, and various tools, improving development productivity. The goal is to expand the extensions to include also other categories, such as Qt Design Studio bridges, design assets, services, and even physical products. The Qt Company also wants to create a platform, where any developer can share contributions to other developers - for free or as paid.
Any developer with a Qt account can publish free extensions. In the beginning, only VAT registered companies can publish paid content.
Free extensions are available in source code in any public repository. Publishers are expected to provide sufficient download, build, and install instructions for the end users to be able to easily use extensions. In practice, instructions may be linked to existing repository and documentation pages. Free extensions may use any commonly used open-source copyleft licenses, such as GPL-3.0-only, LGPL-2.1-or-later, MIT, Apache-2.0 or BSD-3-Clause. It is possible to allow the user to pick up a license among several supported licenses to maximise compatibility between the licenses of different extensions. The Qt Company is not responsible for any license incompatibility issues.
When it comes to paid content, Qt Marketplace supports both one-time and recurring payment models. Recurring payment is based on 1-year subscriptions. We are looking to create a model where individual developers can also publish paid extensions via the marketplace. Paid extensions may use commercial license agreements that will be accepted by the developers during the purchase process. It is also possible to use dual licenses. Partners may use their own systems for binary distributions for paid extensions. In this case, publishers are expected to provide instructions, where the binaries can be downloaded and how developers get a license for a purchased extension. Typically, this is handled by an email, which is sent to the end user after the purchase.
Our goal in the future is also to utilise Qt Marketplace as the primary way of delivering new Qt add-ons.
Steps to publish an extension in Qt Marketplace
- A developer or a company needs a working extension that we allow to Qt Marketplace. Each proposed extension will be tested and verified. The Qt Company keeps the right to reject the extension without giving any reason for rejection.
- The Qt Company will create an extension description in the marketplace. To create the description, we need two files per extension from the publisher.
- extension_description.md that describes extension features in a basic Markdown style, defined by John Gruber https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax#img.
- extension_manifest.json that describes the extension properties, such as extension name, vendor, version number, and license details in JSON, complying with the extension JSON schema. Please, specify the license using the identifiers in the SPDX license list.
- The publisher accepts our publisher agreement and sends us the files using the Publisher page. The page contains examples of both extension description and manifest files.
- We run basic testing & verification for the extension and correct any mistakes there are in the descriptions.
- We add the extension to Qt Marketplace. The whole process may take a few days. Each publisher will be notified by email, when the extension is available in the marketplace.
Extension updates are submitted in a similar way to The Qt Company.
In case of questions and queries, do not hesitate to contact us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. All feedback and improvement ideas are also most welcome.
We look forward to seeing your contributions!