QtCS2021 - Qt Creator Feedback
From Qt Wiki
Let's talk about the current state of Qt Creator, and where it's heading. Please join if you have feedback or (constructive) opinions on Qt Creator :)
- Kai Köhne (email@example.com)
- Alessandro Portale (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Quick Intro and slides by Kai
- Exlplaining Release schedule / Upcoming versioning scheme
- Qt 6 support:
- As target Qt version
- As Qt version to build Qt Creator against (Qt Creator 6): qtpaths, qmldom, maoOS universal, Tracing lib.
- Containerized toolchains
- Why support them?
- Current state (state report by anp)
- Using via LSP
- Persistent AST
- Feedbak: Please work on persistence. Parsing is too slow.
- Debugger window positioning is missing keyboard accessibility. And user-defined positions seem to get too frequently reset to default.
- Collaborative editing. Building blocks are missing.
- Request for an ARCHITECTURE.md for easier diving into contributing to Qt Creator. Perhaps start with a Video? Also feel free to ask for help on IRC/ML.
- Better refatoring support. Support the "standard refactoring actions", offered by other IDEs. Build on top of "built-in" code model? Or on top of clang tooling?
- Qt Creator takes much more memory than it used to do. Caused by clang-tooling? Will temporarily get worse (until clang takes over)
- Memory and CPU consuption infor per plugin.
- Use Advanced-Docking-System docking system, like Qt Design Studio does?
- Android: Attaching debugger to running application and logging is flaky. Need better overview of what works in which combination and what not. Kind of like in: QTCREATORBUG-25030
- Opening top level Qt (or other big projects) makes Qt Creator freeze. Excessive QML/C++ parsing and Test scanning. It is reproducable by several users, but not yet studied.
- Improve Python support? Debugging via PDB? Should already work for basic projects, but needs to be looked at. make Qt Creator less scary for Python developers.
- Ad-hoc loading plugins needed for a specific plugin? Didn't we start something like that based on mimetypes?
- Too many configuration runs of CMake. Document how to optimize that as user, also further investigate actual bugs in that area.