Qt Creator Releases
Qt Creator Release Cycle
We aim for 3 Qt Creator minor releases each year. Each minor release goes through the following stages before the final release date:
- T-8 Weeks: Feature freeze
- T-6 Weeks: Beta release + soft string freeze
- T-4 Weeks: String freeze
- T-2 Weeks: Release candidate
- T-0 Weeks: Final release
These times are approximate and can vary a bit, depending on the state of Qt Creator during the process.
Patch releases can happen after the final release, mostly with the scope of fixing brown paper bag and high priority issues (see also the Qt Creator Submit Policies [qt.io]). We do not maintain multiple Qt Creator minor releases in parallel, usually there is no patch release after the beta of the next minor release has been released. Qt Creator’s schedule is not aligned with Qt’s schedule, but we typically provide a patch release exactly matching Qt releases which is then released at the same time.
The schedule for the next minor is typically set around release time, starting with a period about two months which focuses on feature development for the upcoming release. (During that time there might be patch releases as described above.)
Qt Creator 4.3.1: With Qt 5.9.1 (wk26?)
Qt Creator 4.4
- Feature freeze wk27 (~ Jul 4 2017)
- Beta release wk29 (~ Jul 18 2017)
- String freeze wk31 (~ Aug 1 2017)
- Release candidate wk33 (~ Aug 15 2017)
- Final release wk35 (~ Aug 29 2017)
Qt Creator 4.5
- Feature freeze wk39 (~ Sep 26 2017)
- Beta release wk41 (~ Oct 10 2017)
- String freeze wk43 (~ Oct 24 2017)
- Release candidate wk45 (~ Nov 7 2017)
- Final release wk47 (~ Nov 21 2017)
The mentioned dates are typically Tuesdays of the weeks, packages are meant to be ready by then. Actual release typically happens on Wednesday or Thursday.
A collection of older release plans is found at Old Qt Creator Releases.