Qt Creator Release Cycle
We aim for 3 Qt Creator minor releases each year. Each minor release goes through the following stages before the final release date:
- T-8 Weeks: Feature freeze
- T-6 Weeks: Beta release + soft string freeze
- T-4 Weeks: String freeze
- T-2 Weeks: Release candidate
- T-0 Weeks: Final release
These times are approximate and can vary a bit, depending on the state of Qt Creator during the process.
Patch releases can happen after the final release, mostly with the scope of fixing brown paper bag and high priority issues (see also the Qt Creator Submit Policies [qt.io]). We do not maintain multiple Qt Creator minor releases in parallel, usually there is no patch release after the beta of the next minor release has been released. Qt Creator’s schedule is not aligned with Qt’s schedule, but we typically provide a patch release exactly matching Qt releases which is then released at the same time.
The schedule for the next minor is typically set around release time, starting with a period about two months which focuses on feature development for the upcoming release. (During that time there might be patch releases as described above.)
There’s a Qt Creator Release Checklist for details on what needs to be done for a release.
Qt Creator 3.4:
- Feature freeze w8 (~Feb 17 2015)
- Beta Release w10 (~Mar 3 2015)
- String freeze w12 (~Mar 17 2015)
- Release Candidate w14 (~Mar 31 2015)
- Easter inbetween
- Release Final w17 (~Apr 21 2015)
Qt Creator 3.5:
- Feature freeze w25 (~Jun 16 2015)
- Beta Release w27 (~Jun 30 2015)
- String freeze w39 (~Jul 14 2015)
- Release Candidate w31 (~Jul 28 2015)
- Release Final w33 (~Aug 11 2015)
Qt Creator 3.6:
- Feature freeze w41 (~Oct 6 2015)
- Beta Release w43 (~Oct 20 2015)
- String freeze w45 (~Nov 3 2015)
- Release Candidate w47 (~Nov 17 2015)
- Release Final w49 (~Dec 1 2015)
The mentioned dates are typically Tuesdays of the weeks, packages are meant to be ready by then. Actual release typically happens on Wednesday or Thursday.
A collection of older release plans is found at Old Releases.