Requesting New Repositories
This page describes the process for creating new repositories on our Gerrit server.
Please send an email addressed to the firstname.lastname@example.org mailing list. Please include the following information:
- Name and description of the project
- Responsible persons
- Desired repository name, including namespace (please try to follow existing patterns)
- All projects which are meant to ultimately end up in the qt distribution should start out in the qt/ namespace.
- The playground/ namespace is for projects which don't fit any other category.
- qt-labs/ is a semi-private namespace for employees of The Qt Company. Repositories here can be created without consulting the external community, but should be discussed on the internal development list. Using this namespace just as a shortcut to creating new Qt modules is discouraged (migration to the qt/ namespace requires community consultation anyway, and renaming repositories causes unnecessary hassle).
- If migrating from an existing repository, the URL of it, or explicitly say that you are not importing existing history
- If you import verbatim history, it must comply with Qt's Commit Policy to a reasonable degree. Otherwise, you need to reshape or squash the history, and preferably submit it through the usual code review process.
When a consensus about the new repo's existence and parameters emerges, an admin will proceed with the creation.
Oswald Buddenhagen (ossi|tt) and Frederik Gladhorn (fregl) are the server admins who will ultimately execute the request, but please don't try to bypass the process.
Execution Details (for Admins)
- Mirroring to code.qt.io is automatic
- A mirror on GitHub needs to be created manually, and Gerrit's replication configuration may need to be adjusted
- Some TQtC sites maintain local mirrors which require manual action
- Repos in the qt/ namespace should be added to the qt5 super repo without much delay (typically without configuring them to be part of the default checkout yet).
- It is probably prudent to create a new product or component in JIRA