More languages in the Qt Project
Follow up session from QtWS23 talk: https://qtinfo.dev/qtws23
The Role of language bindings in the future of Qt Ecosystem:
- Current bindings - Python, Rust (KDAB), Java/Kotlin (QtJambi), Zig (QML) etc.
- idea is to offload tasks to Rust rather than completely use Rust and QML. ie. only expose a subset
- Maybe use QtCreator templates to create a tool like Cargo for Qt projects
- Update: From the vcpkg initiative by the build team, it can be combined.
- has templates for new projects
- can easily use C functions without FFI bindings
- fully supports cross compilation
- time to look into other langauges to get into community
Having QML as a connector with many languages to Quick applications would be great, so we don't need to have full-blown bindings for languages, but just a middle layer. This needs the help of the QML team :D