Qt-contributors-summit-2013-Qt Web Engine
From Qt Wiki
- state-of-the-art: webkit team in Digia is small, lot of work to keep up, playing catch up, and even that is hard. Becoming hard to push the Qt side of WebKit 2 APIs moving forward while trying to keep on par with other ports at the platform level.
- Investigating a path using Chromium instead of WebKit. Chromium simplifies platform abstractions (which we would not want to change anyhow because of lack of manpower).
- QWebEngine state of the art:
- just thin layer around Chromium (Quick and Widgets)
- basic QEvent mapping works, more work needed for nice touch and JS gestures integration.
- Chromium provides all API to do that as of now. Problem: with Chromium we are making a toolkit, no app, so slight divergence here with the Chromium project and other adopters. Content API prone to minor changes, but should be maintainable.
- problem on iOS: we cannot ship another web engine; we could just use the native web view there. Some platforms might be restrictive about scheme handlers etc.
- current QWebEngine API too limited, WebKit 1 API too broad. What we would like to have? -> discussion to be continued here:http://wiki.qt.io/QtWebEngine/
- QWebEngine going forward:
- need for sandboxing, security in general.
- more use cases: run-time / browser on embedded, using API being standardized by the community (e.g. saving history), passing in own certificates
- network layer: settings, cookie storage, proxy, authentication, request interception, custom schemes etc.
- How to solve problem of QNAM in hybrid apps / in general? Ideally have only one HTTP stack per app.
- downside of Chromium: it is really big; we could disable features like NaCl etc.
- going forward with WebKit:
- needs to be maintained for some time in any case, there are features in WebKit 1 that Chromium does not have and that could be tricky to match.
- Current WebKit2 API could be deprecated in favor of Chromium; API would be similar but not exactly the same (inheritance from Flickable not so desirable as it brings tons of side effects, etc)
- 2nd step: WebKit 1 would be put in “mainteneance” mode; i.e. only critical fixes like security fixes backported
- Please send in use cases for web engine, so we can shape the API!
Trello board [trello.com]