QtCS2017 Textures in QQ2
From Qt Wiki
- IP situation: unclear
- Do we design our tools, or do we just "consume" the output of such tools?
- Extreme variability in those tools, they were not built for being used by a master tool
- What do game companies do?
- Decision -> consume. Launch 3rd party tools
- Should we build a knowledge DB of which formats are _really_ supported by hardware?
- With APIs?
- For embedded and desktop: build a small tool to detect the best format for a given platform
- For desktop: less of a "huge" issue, we can settle for a format which is good enough, but how to ship better formats if the target supports them? Download from network? Same kind of "tool" but with an API
- QQ2 and Qt3D have already some support, but it's different
- Move common code to QtGUI
- Should we create another element than Image (CompressedImage)?
- Should we use a custom scheme + custom image provider?
- Build our own tool that does it
- Output: texture pages + metadata
- Should it be the same tool that does compression? Probably not (simpler)
- Perform extra optimizations on top of atlassing: removing transparency, splitting, etc.
- How to identify which files need to be atlassed+compressed? And how to be atlassed?
- Its own file format
- How to identify the compressed format?
- Get a good guess from the mkspecs
- COMPRESSED_FORMAT = iphone-6 etc2
- How to ship the products of the compressor/atlassing?
- Binary format but not bundled in the executable (and deploy)
- Build by-product for lated deployment (download, etc.)