QtCS2021 - Git submodules
From Qt Wiki
We use submodules in our qt5 git repository, which has its pros and cons. This talk will provide ruminations and a critical look at whether that's a reasonable approach, and whether we should perhaps reconsider our submodule approach.
- Ville Voutilainen (email@example.com)
- Volker has a CMake script for dependencies that developers could use to abstract away the difficulty of keeping the modules SHA-1s in sync.
- init-repository could be used as a solution for managing SHA-1s of submodules.
- Build instructions need to be improved; several sources in different places.
- We want to give contributors a set of SHA-1s that are known to work together. This is what qt5.git tries to be. As a Qt developer I want to work against the latest HEAD, not ancient ones.
- Right now it's optimising for the release team instead of contributors.
- Discussion often comes back to changes taking too long to get through CI.
- Ville ponders an alternative lifestyle living as a hermit and fishing for his sustenance.