Qt 5.5.0 Post Mortem
From Qt Wiki
What needs to be improved & how
- API Reviews & process
- There were lots of discussion & changes related to public APIs very late of releasing process. That needs to be improved for the future releases so that API reviews are done early enough & official header diff is just a final verification
- Header diffs should be done earlier
- Perhaps we should do header reviews before the beta (as well as later) in order to catch problems early and avoid trying to address them in a rush.
- Last minute issues detected in the binary installers
- We have a ChangeLog for the Qt modules, but not for the installers. Such a detailed list would help verifying the packages. Also, checking a diff of the file content compared to the last releases for each package would have spotted broken things like qtwebview missing, missing gstreamer backends ...
What was causing the delays & how we could improve those
- CI system instability
- We should be able to release extra betas if there are blockers delaying a proper RC. There should never be more than a month between releases once the first beta is out.
- There's always confusion what should be in the packages, and what not.
What went well & what should be continued
- Be very vocal and clear about intended support for compilers and toolchains