Qt Creator Releases
Qt Creator 5.0
- Feature freeze wk26 (~ Jun 22 2021)
- Beta release wk28 (~ Jul 6 2021)
- String freeze wk30 (~ Jul 20 2021)
- RC release wk32 (~ Aug 3 2021)
- Final release wk34 (~ Aug 17 2021)
Qt Creator 6.0
- Feature freeze wk40 (~ Sep 28 2021)
- Beta release wk42 (~ Oct 12 2021)
- String freeze wk44 (~ Oct 26 2021)
- RC release wk46 (~ Nov 9 2021)
- Final release wk48 (~ Nov 23 2021)
The mentioned dates are typically Tuesdays of the weeks, packages are meant to be ready by then. Actual release typically happens on Wednesday or Thursday.
A collection of older release plans is found at Old Qt Creator Releases.
Qt Creator Release Cycle
We aim for 3 Qt Creator major releases each year. Each release goes through the following stages before the final release date:
- T-8 Weeks: Feature freeze
- T-6 Weeks: Beta release + soft string freeze
- T-4 Weeks: String freeze
- T-2 Weeks: Release candidate
- T-0 Weeks: Final release
These times are approximate and can vary a bit, depending on the state of Qt Creator during the process.
Patch releases can happen after the final major release, mostly with the scope of fixing brown paper bag and high priority issues (see also the Qt Creator Submit Policies [qt.io]). We do not maintain multiple Qt Creator major releases in parallel, usually there is no patch release after the beta of the next release has been released. Qt Creator’s schedule is not aligned with Qt’s schedule, but we typically provide a patch release exactly matching Qt releases which is then released at the same time.
The time after a final (.0) release starts with a period of about two months (52 weeks / 3 releases - 8 weeks from feature freeze to final = 9 1/3 weeks) which focuses on feature development for the upcoming release. (During that time there might be patch releases as described above.)