New Features in Qt 5.11
Note that this page is work in progress until the Qt 5.11 Beta release.
New Features (within existing modules)
- Qt Core
- [QTBUG-52244] QIODevice::NewOnly and QIODevice::ExistingOnly OpenMode flags, which, when used with QFile, instruct open() to return false when the given file does (NewOnly) or does not (ExistingOnly) exist at the time of the call to open (atomically).
- QFloat16 now has two methods for bulk conversion between float16 and float, using hardware SIMD acceleration if available at runtime.
- QVarLengthArray now has rvalue reference versions of prepend and insert, and can hold movable-only datatypes such as std::unique_ptr.
- QVector now has rvalue reference versions of prepend and insert.
- QUuid toString() and toByteArray() can now takes a parameter specifying the generated format.
- Qt Network
- ALPN (via Secure Transport) and thus HTTP/2 negotiation are now supported on iOS (starting from version 11)
- QNetworkRequest now has the Http2DirectAttribute to start a connection in HTTP/2 without first negotiating.
- Qt QML
- Rewritten the compiler pipeline. We now directly generate byte code from the AST, and store that as our intermediate representation
- Optimized handling of JS calls, bringing large improvements especially when calling small functions
- Newly written byte code interpreter with a vastly improved performance (at 80-90% of the JIT in Qt 5.10)
- .qmlc files are now fully platform independent and store byte code instead of assembly
- New hotspot JIT that generated optimised assembly for byte code that gets repeatedly executed
- CONFIG += qmlcompiler now also works in the open source version, by embedding the generated byte code at compile time
- Qt Quick
- Expanded support for loading compressed textures in Image element. Now supports both .ktx and .pkm container file formats.
- Qt Quick Controls 2
- Added autoRepeatDelay and autoRepeatInterval properties.
- Promoted the autoRepeat property from Button to AbstractButton.
- [QTBUG-62811] Added pressX and pressY properties to expose the press point to QML.
- [QTBUG-56295][QTBUG-63782] Added a checkState property. It indicates the combined check state of the entire group.
- CheckBox and CheckDelegate
- [QTBUG-56295] No longer force tristate to true when setting checkState to Qt.PartiallyChecked. This allows presenting a partially checked state without being interactively tri-state.
- [QTBUG-56295] No longer consider partially checked as checked. This fixes check state cycling for a non-tri-state checkbox so that it goes from partially checked to fully checked state.
- [QTBUG-63238] Made it possible to implement nextCheckState() in QML.
- ScrollBar and ScrollIndicator
- [QTBUG-56557] Added minimumSize, visualSize, and visualPosition properties.
- Added a displayText property to allow styles to create a light binding to display the textual value instead of having to call the textFromValue() JS-function.
- Qt 3D
- Scrub through animations with the normalizedTime property of QAbstractClipAnimator.
- Issue arbitrary ray casts in world space or screen space.
- Improved SIMD support
- Qt Location
- New Qt.labs.location plugin containing experimental QML types
- Qt WebEngine
- Updated to Chromium 64 or 65.
- Embedded DevTools without using a port and separate browser.
- Installable cookie filter.
- Quota permissions.
- qdoc now uses libclang for parsing C/C++ code.
- Qt Designer
- Added support for ID-based translations ( QTBUG-34610 )
- Qt GUI
- On Windows Desktop, the accessibility support was updated and vastly improved. The implementation is now based on Microsoft UI Automation (it was formerly based on Microsoft Active Accessibility).
- Linux Printing now supports more CUPS options with the advanced tab in QPrintPropertiesDialog (QTBUG-54464) allowing many additional settings (amongst them arbitrary page ranges QTBUG-1311).
- Qt Widgets
- Added quick text selection by mouse to QLineEdit.
- Qt Serial Bus
- Added J2534 Pass-Thru CAN plugin for communication between a computer and a vehicle
- Added description, serial number and channel to QCanBusDeviceInfo, as far as supported by the various plugins.
- Introduced categorized logging to the CAN bus module which can be enabled by the "qt.canbus" and "qt.canbus.plugins.<pluginname>" filters.
- QCanBusFrame::isValid() now checks for invalid CAN FD payload lengths. E.g. 24 is a valid CAN FD payload length, but 28 is not.
- No new modules added
- Jira tracking for 5.11 changes
- MSVC2013 support removed from the code base
- QNX 6.6 no longer supported (note: QNX 7 remains fully supported)
- macOS 10.10 no longer supported
- Improved Accessibility support on Win32 by adopting the Windows UI Automation framework
- Support for missing 'dead keys' such as dasia and diaeresis.
- Added support for framebuffer formats other than XRGB8888 (RGB565, ARGB8888).
- Added experimental screen cloning support (by scanning out the same framebuffer on multiple crtcs)
- Added support for operating with DRM render nodes (/dev/dri/renderDnn) in a headless mode transparent to applications
- Added a makespec for Renesas R-Car M3
- Added experimental backend for compositing Qt content with other hardware layers via VSP2 on Renesas devices
Technology Preview Modules
- Qt Remote Objects (TP3) - A module that allows you to easily share QObject interfaces (Signals/Slots/Properties) between processes or devices.
- Qt WebGL Streaming Plugin (TP2) - Stream applications to browsers over the network
The following modules are part of Qt 5.11 release, but deprecated and considered for removal in subsequent releases of Qt:
- Qt Script
- Qt Quick Controls 1